Monday, June 25, 2007

How 'bout them Realtors?

Ted Vaden, the "Public Editor," or ombudsman, at the News & Observer, got snippy about the profession of real estate in answering a question about why the N&O capitalizes "Realtor." And one responder used AP style as a reason for not capitalizing it, incorrectly. Below is my comment in reply.

I agree that the tone of this item is unnecessarily snide.

But, Editor Beth, you know a different AP style than I learned. While I don't have a Stylebook (its proper title, so it's capitalized!) in my hand, this item from the Realty Times puts it the way I remember it, and if you are using lower-case "realtor," rather than "real estate agent," you are not using AP style.

According to the Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual, Addison Wesley, a trademark is "a brand, symbol, word, etc., used by a manufacturer or dealer and protected by law to prevent a competitor from using it." According to the guidelines, editors should "use a generic equivalent unless the trademark name is essential to the story." When a trademark is used, "capitalize it," says the news bible.

No comments: